LEADFREE Archives

December 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 14:11:01 EST
Hello Pratap

Thanks for your note.

I appreciate your comments and as well your courage in "slugging it out" in
the trenches relative to the current lead-free challenge.

I would like to first note that, while both provide challenge, I  do think
there are some significant differences between the switch from PTH to  SMT,
which provided tangible and easily quantifiable benefits and the  current
lead-free effort.

That aside, I was intrigued by your 50-50 comment. You may be right in  a
general sense ( I think you'll agree that 50-50, even if  right, is far from
ether a consensus or a  mandate)   I am not certain what the actual split is
relative to lead-free from the perspective of those assigned the task. I  don't
know if a formal poll has ever been taken.

However, among the folks I have been in contact with around the world  on
this matter over the last several years, well beyond 50% (perhaps north of  80%
or 90%) seem to wish that lead-free is just a bad dream from which they  will
soon awake. (Maybe my sample to too small)

Certainly the preponderance of sentiment in this  forum seems not to favor
lead-free, by my reading. I do  admit to a formed opinion on the topic and a
personal bias, however I  don't think that it is affecting my reason or powers of
observation.

Of course, there are those folks making a lot of money on the switch to
lead-free and if it is also a dream for them, it is, no doubt, one from which
they hope never to awaken...  ;-)

As you (and many others) note, there are a significant number of options in
terms of solders and there are also many finishes, fluxes and process
parameters, with no single solution in sight. The potential number of  permutations
is mind numbing.

It seems to me that will be many, many years before all of the  data is in
and we can make comment with certainty as to what the whole  story is. And
again, sadly, after it is done, there will still be no  demonstrable environmental
benefit.  It seems all the more ridiculous  when there is a mandate to recycle
in place which obviates the need.  The effort fails the logic litmus test
(IMHO).

I guess if one looks for the "pony in the manure" as the old story  goes,
there is some interesting science and job security  in looking for answers in the
years to come.

The sad part is that I see so many fine engineers who have been side  tracked
solving a complete non-problem which can offer no tangible benefit when
completed. It is a true pity.

We may not agree on all points but I do respect your  opinions, appreciate
your observations on the matter and your efforts to  make it work for your
company.

Thanks again, Pratap.

Best wishes,
Joe