LEADFREE Archives

December 2002

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:56:31 +0200
Bemused

Not naive at all. You have every right to be bemused. Many of us on this
forum are equally bemused by the downright stupidity of our legislators.
As for the forces behind them, they are either emotive (lead is a dirty
word) or commercially driven through lobbying by interested parties. In
this case, because no science is involved, and the commission concerned
openly admits that they have not taken a risk assessment into account in
the matter, there is no reason behind the rules. Unfortunately this
state of affairs came to light only after the procedure had passed the
point of no return. Personally, I think that this state of affairs is
scandalous, forcing a whole industry to change on a whim.

You are quite right to question future regulations. Silver, in
particular, is already in the collimator and may also become a "dirty
word" when the legislators cotton on to it. The photographic industry
has already been severely handicapped in this respect: even a photo
amateur enlarging a single negative must consider his used solutions as
hazardous waste.

Watch this space....

Brian