LEADFREE Archives

August 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Graeme Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 18:16:24 +0100
We used J-STD-003A wetting balance coupons and they were exposed to EIA-364-65A T-65,IIA mixed flowing gas for time periods ranging from 0 to 5 years. The coupons were both non-processed, for shelf life study, and processed for field exposure. Processed meant the coupons were part of a board which had been passed up an assembly line in combinations of surface mount only and surface mount and wave. The process variables included single and double pass through SM and coupon up or down through the wave. The intention was to expose the coupons to the various chemistries and see if they interacted with the surface and if this then had an impact when exposed to a polluted atmosphere.
The intention wasn't to age the surface but to understand what happens to it when exposed to a polluted atmosphere. I had found plenty of references to ageing using various conditions and was happy to use those results. However I couldn't find anything, at the time, about how it interacted with Sulphur and Chlorine airborne pollutants. Remember the Imm Ag PCB finishes are co-deposited with organics so we are not looking at pure silver systems.

Graeme Stewart,
Agilent Technologies