LEADFREE Archives

September 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Reuven ROKAH <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 17:38:42 +0300
Hello John,

If companies want to be comply with the RoHS directive and with the DTI
advice flow (UK government guidance August 2005)  to make reasonable
components analysis and complete the cycle of tests in a reasonable time as
per DTI recommendation, its should be managed by a well known lab institute
and the finding should be stored in a data base for sharing by the members
paying the membership payment.

I think its can be a worldwide project of data base sharing results per
supplier catalogue and batch number.

It will give the industry fast response and reasonable costs for the RoHS
requirements.

I will be happy if this suggestion will be adopted by IPC, Soldertec or
other institute as a worldwide project.

Best  Regards

Reuven  ROKAH

e mail: [log in to unmask]

                      "John R. Sieber"
                      <john.sieber@            To:      [log in to unmask]
                      NIST.GOV>                cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject: Re: [LF] Incoming inspection for RoHS compliance
                      Leadfree
                      <Leadfree@
                      ipc.org>

                      06/09/2005 15:55
                      Please respond
                      to "(Leadfree
                      Electronics
                      Assembly
                      Forum)"; Please
                      respond to "John
                      R. Sieber"

Reuven,

I find it interesting that you suggest having a national metrology
institute of some non-industry institution handle the collection and
exchange of composition information.  What concerns lead you to make this
suggestion?

We hear from our NIST Electronics and Electrical Engineering Laboratory
that a number of companies are developing software tools for data entry and
dissemination.  I have heard that one plan would use declarations forms in
pdf format with software conversion of the information to XML for database
compatibility.  We also know the automotive industry has a sophisticated
system for data exchange.  We will hear about these products and options at
our workshop here at NIST next month.  I expect to hear also about the
concerns of companies for data confidentiality and validation.

John Sieber
NIST