LEADFREE Archives

August 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Lynn Norman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 15:50:22 -0500
If you drop a cell phone in water will it withstand the moisture
absorption? Sounds like the recall wasn't driven by the solder technology,
but the design that allowed moisture to get to the board.  We have had
similar problems.

>Hi,
>I am not so sure that the automotive industry is at the forefront of
>soldering technology--only 2 years ago one of the Detroit Big 3 had to
recall
>2 years worth of SUVs because 60/40 SJs on CEM-1 [!?] PCBs for the
windshield
>wiper controls under-the-hood failed well within the warranty period. CEM-1
>not only grossly thermally expands, but swells on H2O-absorption, and the
bad
>housing design caused the PCBs to warp.
>
>Werner Engelmaier

>the BODY (NOT the subject field): SIGNOFF Leadfree
>To temporarily stop delivery of Leadree for vacation breaks send: SET
Leadfree NOMAIL
>Search previous postings at: www.ipc.org > On-Line Resources & Databases >
E-mail Archives