LEADFREE Archives

July 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Harvey Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harvey Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 07:13:58 -0700
Gordon

I don't think any consideration of alternative outcomes can extenuate unregulated
recycling, by scavenging, of our toxic wastes by
Chinese or anyone.  The Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition used these examples graphically to
support RoHS and agitated Senator Sher to imitate RoHS in the California legislature.

Unregulated export of our waste is not only wrong on principle, but it plays into the
anti-environmental agenda of unthinking supporters of lead-free solder.  By focusing on
this small part of the picture, they completely miss the greater ecological damage wrought
by increased mining, the higher energy use due to higher melting temperature of
alternative alloys, the reduced product life due to unreliability of alternative alloys
leading to increased load of waste.  They miss all these and more downsides of banning
lead in solder, 0.5% of lead usage, when lead in solder might be recycled with no hazard
to humans or to the environment, just as it is in lead acid batteries, 85% of lead usage.

We face the unintended consequences of emotionally based actions. The answers -- we must
not feed the emotions, even as we appeal to reason to mitigate RoHS by exempting lead in
solder.  Actually that would probably save the measure by making it enforceable.

Harvey Miller