LEADFREE Archives

August 2002

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Kam-Lum, Elsa" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:04:36 -0400
I am most grateful to all responding generously with information.

This particular response by Dave Hillman triggered some questions which have
been brewing in the back of my mind.  I have been wondering about the
reliability tests being conducted on Pb-free alloys using the currently the
thermal cycle testing established for Pb-containing alloys and the paper
presented at ECTC in May 2002 by Gunter Grossmann, Giovanni Nicoletti, Ursin
Soler from the Swiss Federal Institute for Materials Testing and Research
EMPA, entitled "Results of Comparative Reliability Tests on Lead-free Solder
Alloys".  In it they conclude that "the deformation behaviour of the
materials must be taken into account for tests designed to estimate
reliability of solder joints."  When they changed the dwell times from what
is currently used, to compensate so that all alloys encounter the same
strain, their measurement of the crack length showed that Pb-free alloys
degrade faster than SnPb36Ag2.  I have since been wondering how best to
reconcile the data and tests being done. Comments? Discussion?

Elsa Kam-Lum