LEADFREE Archives

May 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Burtt, Nigel" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2005 09:15:38 +0100
In principle there is nothing wrong with ppm level reporting, but it

does not help with RoHS compliance. Knowing that part X contains less

than 1000ppm Pb is of no value under RoHS.

For RoHS you need to know the ppm level for each and every type of

material used in the construction of any component and whether each

material type contains regulated substances below the regulated limits

(1000ppm for all but Cd which is 100ppm), not the overall ppm level for

the whole component. Additionally, you need to be able to individually

discriminate materials that that make up each component which are

covered under the scope of RoHS, and those for which a RoHS exemption

applies and which you don't care about.

If all the materials (components, PCB laminate, solder, glues, screws,

metalwork, plastic fascias etc etc) that are used in the construction of

your unit of EEE are compliant, then the overall unit is compliant. So

the key is documented supply chain management to prove due diligence

along with compliant manufacturing processes.

As my colleague has pointed out, incorrectly arguing for ppm level

reporting in respect of RoHS will only serve to make it a de facto

requirement for other RoHS type legislation that may come along, and

that is a dangerous path to follow.