LEADFREE Archives

August 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Mike Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:04:32 -0400
Bev,

I think you present an interesting, and frightening, argument. For your
example, my question would be - can the components of mold compound be
"disjointed" mechanically. Specifically, is it possible to mechanically
separate the filler from the resin by cryogenically grinding (or some other
mechanical means)?  To take this further, is it then possible to "disjoint"
the other components in the compounds such as flame retardants, etc?  I am
not a polymer chemist, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that a creative
person would be able to find ways to mechanically separate a variety of
items that we may presently believe to be homogeneous.  If this is true,
then the question becomes - at what level does the analysis end?  There is a
point in which the contaminants are further and further disjointed and
isolated from the starting mold compound, which means that the % content of
the contaminant is becoming more and more significant. If you are able to
disjoint down to the elemental level, then the contaminant becomes 100% of
the sample!

Mike