LEADFREE Archives

March 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Smith, Rick" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:21:07 -0600
Hey guys,

There are many reasons why there are different laminate materials. I
leave the science to your engineers in the actual selection of
materials.

What I can tell you, is LF BGA rework will discolor, and in most cases
completely destroy ANY PCB with a DECOMPOSITION (Td) < 330 Degrees C.

I've seen no visible signs of destruction when the Tg (of the Td >330 C
boards) was at 145.

Most of the higher Td boards also have Tg >150, so you should do your
own stress testing to see which material you like or need.

There are new materials coming out to meet the cost requirements of
those of us in competitive markets, we are watching closely but expect
our laminate will be Tg< 155 C.