LEADFREE Archives

November 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Kallin, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 2005 11:04:00 -0500
I would be very careful with that theory if you product requires
electricity to function properly!!   From the WEEE
directive................

(10) This Directive should cover all electrical and electronic equipment
used by consumers and electrical and electronic equipment intended for
professional use. This Directive should apply without prejudice to
Community legislation on safety and health requirements protecting all
actors in contact with WEEE as well as specific Community waste
management legislation, in particular Council Directive 91/157/EEC of 18
March 1991 on batteries and accumulators containing certain dangerous
substances(9).

(a) "electrical and electronic equipment" or "EEE" means equipment which
is dependent on electric currents or electromagnetic fields in order to
work properly and equipment for the generation, transfer and measurement
of such currents and fields falling under the categories set out in
Annex IA and designed for use with a voltage rating not exceeding 1000
Volt for alternating current and 1500 Volt for direct current;

There is plenty of discussion, and to my understanding agreement, that
the categories are guidance not a checklist.

I am curious why you feel your plotters are not IT equipment?

3. IT and telecommunications equipment
Printer units
and other products and equipment for the collection, storage,
processing, presentation or communication of information by electronic
means

Dan Kallin
Program Director
EH&S Management, Consulting and Compliance
Earth Tech, Inc.
196 Baker Avenue
Concord, Massachusetts 01742-2167
Phone: 978.371.4155  Fax: 978.371.2468