LEADFREE Archives

November 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:10:50 +0200
Mike

I must admit that this kind of "report" is typical ecopolitical scare
tactics. Like nuke power stations, there is an element of truth in their
tactics, exaggerated beyond reasonable proportion. I agree there is a
problem, but it is not one that is difficult to resolve. I would like to
know where there are cadmium and mercury in a PC or a TV, for example.
As for electronic trash, the PC is not the worst offender (it might be
the bulkiest, but 90% of its bulk is fresh air). Low cost domestic
electronics (things like alarm clocks and calculators, usually
commercial gifts) typically has a user life of a year. Mobile telephones
are being replaced every 18 months. Not to mention musical greetings
cards with a life of one day.

As far as PCs and monitors are concerned, if the working parts are
removed from the casing and the latter separated into iron and plastic
for recycling, you have already won 75% of the battle. The CR tube
envelopes are recyclable. The solder is easily recovered. A la rigueur,
the rest of the metals can be, although this might be less economical.
The rest can be chopped and burnt, to provide fuel for electricity
generation (did you know that Switzerland has an electricity generation
capacity of 227 MW from burning waste?). This does require a
sophisticated high-temperature incinerator with scrubbers and
precipitators.

Yes, I agree that we have a long way to go, but using popular media to
spread scare tactics is counter-productive, IMHO.

Brian