LEADFREE Archives

March 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:07:57 -0600
Hi Colin, IPC LF Listservers,

<Could anyone please advise on what realistic long term storage (many
years) can be achieved, and how to achieve it, for components such as
integrate circuits? Any articles or guidelines would be helpful.>
<
<We are facing some obsolete component issues and do not have resources to
redesign many boards for incompatible replacements or new devices.>

I am guessing that you mean for components that will, in the future, ONLY
be available in Lead Free.  SO, You want to build up inventory of SnPb and
hope you won't have a solderability or reliability issue when they are used
8 or more years from now.  BTWay, after some time you will have to
redesign, if LF stays with us and grows in popularity, yet that is out in
time.

Look through JEDEC would be my first suggestion, and then maybe SANDIA, or
the Military. Maybe even CALCE since they are kind of military linked.

It seems like the reports if you find them will want you to create an
inert, stable, low temperature environment.

Good Luck this might be new research territory when you get beyond the
first few years. BTWay I believe some UK companies will be doing this, yet
they might not have the storage conditions thought through.

Yours in Engineering, Dave
YiEngr, MA/NY DDave