LEADFREE Archives

October 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Dave Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 07:49:16 -0600
Hi TechNet land! We have completed a number of Pbfree solder joint thermal
cycle test investigations utilizing our existing printed wiring board
trace/pad/land guidelines and have had the same experience that several
other TechNet contributors are reporting - the existing
geometries/guidelines do not seem to impact the solder joint integrity for
the testing that has been conducted. However, the higher Pbfree soldering
temperatures are going to impact the plated thru hole and via structure
reliability to some level depending on what pwb laminate your design uses.
It will be interesting to see how much degradation is reported in the
industry investigations and how assembly laminate choices are impacted.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

                      Thomi
                      <Thomas.Ahrens@T-        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      ONLINE.DE>               cc:
                      Sent by: Leadfree        Subject:  Re: [LF] New to the group : Lead free landpatterns question

                      10/25/2003 05:03
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "(Leadfree
                      Electronics
                      Assembly Forum)";
                      Please respond to
                      Thomi

Hi Rene,

with regard to land patterns for leadfree electronics production, from all
we have tried and heard in various leadfree circles, we have not found a
necessity to change land patterns for better soldering results. One note,
though, on IPC-SM782 (and I am eager to responses to this from other
LEADFREE members, though this discussion might fit better in TECHNET) - I
am
not convinced that this is the most appropriate commonly available
landpattern standard. It is desperately lacking to distinguish between
reflow and wave pads, if I don't lack information regarding it's
interpretation.

For our layout, we prefer the Philips guidelines, as shown e. g. in the
reference
Klein Wassink, R. J., Verguld, M.M.F.: Manufacturing Techniques for Surface
Mounted Assemblies. Electrochemical Publications Ltd., Asahi House, Port
Erin, Isle of Man (1995).
(There are other comprehensive collections from Siemens, and further
component specific advisories).

But as mentioned, I'd like to find comments on this from others. I would
also like to get information on the next issue of IPC-A-610, which will be
revision D, if there will be special input on leadfree solder joints -
although I'd anticipate equal requirements for acceptability in terms of
wetting, smooth surface, concave shape, no opens, no bridges, no corrosive
residues and whats more...

Best regards

Thomas Ahrens, D-Boostedt