LEADFREE Archives

August 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Anslow, Phillip" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 15:59:21 +0100
Back in my old Nortel days w.r.t press-fit connectors, there was a big
question mark over their use with ENIG due to possible exposure of
subcutaneous nickel and possible corrosion after assembly - particularly on
backplanes/midplanes. But, they were still used on PIUs with ENIG finish -
so... from memory it came down to the style of compliant pin collapse
employed and as you say hole size (but this is a few years ago and the
memory dims...).
I expect there will be many expert opinions in the Technet forum archives
w.r.t. press-fit and ENIG issue specifically.
Regards,
Phil.