LEADFREE Archives

July 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Chuck Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:48:36 -0700
I am not sure how one "bans lead mining" because "lead mining" is often part of the mining for copper, zinc, silver and other elements.  What do they want the mines and smelters to do, just throw the lead back into the ground after they have removed the non-banned elements from the ore? If you are mining for copper and the ore contains lead are you  "mining lead"?

And if you ban the use of all lead what do you do with all the lead that is currently in circulation? According to the US Geological Survey (a US federal agency) in 2002 "About 1.1 million tons of secondary lead were produced (i.e. recycled - cd), an amount equivalent to 69% of domestic lead consumption. Nearly all of it was recovered from old (post-consumer) scrap. About 1 million tons (equivalent to 63% of domestic lead consumption) was recovered from used batteries alone."  So if we stop
using all lead that is going to have to go back into the "environment".

"We think the ultimate solution is to take lead out of the system altogether,"

This isn't just bad science it is bad thinking - or no thinking at all.

Charles F. Dolci
Director - Business Continuity and EH&S Programs
Sun Microsystems, Inc.