LEADFREE Archives

March 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Chuck Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 16:11:16 -0800
David Suraski wrote:
> Here's another one of these articles that I just came across on
> www.theledger.com.  I hope you'll appreciate the hilarity/hyperbole of
> the first line as much as I did.  I am only forwarding this, not
> endorsing it!
>
> Regards,
>
> David Suraski
> AIM
> +1-401-463-5605 ext. 5210
> www.aimsolder.com
>

> According to a recent news release from the University of Florida,
> experts estimate that 60 million personal computers will become obsolete
> by 2005.

Notice how they always mix definitions to generate the kinds of
statistics they want. They never say 60 million PCs will be disposed of.
The say "60 million will become obsolete". That is so they can throw
around really big numbers to impress the people with little minds - like
legislators.
The PC on my desk at home is obsolete (probably was the day after I
bought it) but that doesn't mean I have any intention of throwing it out
in 2005 or after.

--
Chuck Dolci