LEADFREE Archives

June 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 19:22:08 +0200
Hi Vasudivan Sunappan and all,

there are activities comparable to your services going on in Europe, as
well. We are active in a working circle with institutes and industry. The
circle can be contacted under www.izm.fhg.de (most information is in
german); there are resources available for "outsourced development", like
trials in lead free wave soldering and rework. We, too learned that filling
up a solder pot with trial material costs something. We use a bench top wave
solder system which takes "only" a little under 200 kg, and we start with
Sn-3.5Ag to keep the number of constituents small; we may later add some
copper or some bismuth, whatever appears more appropriate early next year
(it's easier to add some then to extract an alloy element from the bath).

Activities are also going on under an EUREKA umbrella (which means
performing joint research in Europe "just for fun", as EUREKA does not
provide funding); there, also a wave solder system has been put up for test
runs; contact is [log in to unmask] It would be interesting, dear
Vasudivan, to exchange information about
- what your test boards/components look like,
- what parameters you test/change,
- what qualification test you will perform
- if you will perform reliability test (for reliability assessment we may
need some basic information in IPC-SM-785 and/or IPC-9701 about alloy
thermal mechanical behaviour of promising lead free alloys, as we have this
information available for lead-tin only).

Best regards

Thomas Ahrens, Memellandstr. 8, D-24598 Boostedt
Achtung: Mails über 1MB werden vom Assistenten automatisch gelöscht!
Please note: Mails exceeding 1MB will be exterminated automatically!