LEADFREE Archives

August 2000

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:56:12 +0300
Rick

I don't think that anyone who has given a serious and impartial thought to the
issue would disagree with you.

However, I'll allow myself to go somewhat off-topic and discuss bromine. There
is a move afoot to eliminate tetrabromobisphenol A (TBBPA) as the flame
retardant component in FR-4 laminates (and polycarbonates), also driven mainly
from Europe (substitute flame retardants are available but all of them exhibit
some severe disadvantage, compared to TBBPA). As TBBPA represents about 25% of
the consumption of bromine, this is driving the bromine industry nuts. Over the
past few years or so, they have been trying to find a substitute market for
their bromine and have developed a solvent called nPB (n-propyl bromide,
1-bromopropane) which is being very aggressively marketed. nPB has an
ozone-depleting potential that the best current estimates average at 0.027 but
peaks to 0.11, according to latitude of emission. The former figure compares
with some regulated substances under the Montreal Protocol and the latter figure
to 1,1,1-trichloroethane (methyl chloroform, Chlorothene) which has been banned
under the Protocol in developed countries since 1996. However, nPB has escaped
introduction into the Protocol through some technicalities, at least up to the
end of 2001 and possibly later. It has also escaped reporting in the USA into
the Toxics Release Inventory and, pending SNAP approval (which would seem
conditionally likely in 2001), is freely available for unrestricted sale. It has
taken the US EPA three years not to determine the SNAP approval, even though it
would appear to be at least as toxic as non-ozone-depleting chlorocarbon
solvents, although the manufacturers claim a much lower toxicity with an OEL of
100 ppm. A Japanese study has shown strong evidence of neurotoxicity and a
slight evidence of reproductive toxicity in rats at continuous dosage over 4 -
12 weeks at 200 ppm and an epidemiological study in humans of an isomer, iso-PB,
has shown a severe reduction of sperm count and mobility in persons exposed to
the solvent in an industrial environment. As a precautionary measure,
toxicologists usually give an OEL of 1/10th the lowest value exhibiting harm in
animals, so the logical maximum value for nPB should be 20 ppm and not the 100
ppm the bromine manufacturers claim. OSHA have requested an evaluation by the
National Toxicology Program, which cannot be completed before the end of 2003
and thus an "official" OEL/PEL/AEL cannot be decreed for years, yet. In the
meanwhile, any Tom, Dick or Harry can buy the solvent and use it for defluxing
PCAs almost without any let or hindrance. OK, it is not compatible with the
tenderer plastics, such as PC or PS, but it is pretty good for most hybrid
assemblies, and there are special blends for the electronics industry. I do not
claim that this development has been sparked by the writing on the wall for
TBBPA but it must surely have been accelerated. So, eliminating an environmental
problem has partially accelerated another one, combined with a potentially
severe toxicological one. Incidentally, I have been given to understand that the
caution exercised by the EPA to not give SNAP approval has been the result of
intense lobbying pressures by the US bromine industry, the world's largest one,
just now, whose main production happens to be in Arkansas.

From the frying pan into the fire, like lead-free electronics????????

Brian