LEADFREE Archives

September 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:46:24 -0500
To all,
As an avid sportsman, I have read many articles on the impact of lead
shot and lead fishing sinkers. Many of them were well written, provided
excellent scientific data, including the numbers of bird, duck, eagle,
loons, tern, etc. fatalities directly attributed to lead pellet
ingestion. The loon population is especially sensitive to this.
The Minnesota DNR and other state's natural resources departments do
attempt to record every single animal that is found to have died of lead
poisoning, or nearly so. They have compiled excellent statistics on the
impact of lead ingestion in birds, fish, and animals, and excellent
reports and articles.
Unlike electronic lead, where the theoretical danger is leaching of
extremely small amounts of lead into the groundwater, which most of us
believe is statistically insignificant, direct ingestion of lead is a
real problem for the critters. The efforts to ban lead in shot and
sinkers is well-justified and should be respected.