LEADFREE Archives

December 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:03:59 -0500
The link to Kelley and Bergum's article is here: http://pcdandm.com/cms/content/view/3054/95/
(One minor aside: That would be Printed Circuit Design & Manufacture magazine.)

Mike

Mike Buetow
Editor in Chief
Circuits Assembly
30 Glenburnie Road
Boston, MA 02131 USA
W/mobile: 617-327-4702

Watch our latest on-demand video Webinar!
www.pcbshows.com/webinars/ondemand/siemens

RoHS in China Webinar: Thursday, Jan. 18, 2 pm EST
Register at www.pcbshows.com/webinars

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/22/06 9:58 AM >>>
Hi Ioan,
cT2xx stands for 'cyclic time-to-delamination at 2xx°C'.
It is not an 'official' test, yet, but the evidence for its need is
clearly building in this direction (see the Ed Kelley and Erik Bergum
article in the Nov & Dec issues of Printed Circuit magazine).
In my White Paper I describe it as: "A cyclic 'time-to-delamination'
protocol has been proposed to perhaps be in addition to or as a
replacement of T288 generating a cT288-value.  This value would be
generated my thermally cycling to 288°C x-number of times, e.g., 6 to
simulate 3 reflow and 3 rework cycles, and then holding at 288°C to
delamination.  It has been reported that some 'high performance' resin
systems degrade with thermal cycling to 260°C much more readily than
from a single thermal excursion to 260°C.

Werner