LEADFREE Archives

April 2007

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:01:37 -0400
Is there a possible similarity in this discussion of "testing everything" that is a forerunner of the REACH legislation?

As I understand, there thousands of chemicals will have to be tested.  It doesn't make sense to me for everyone to test every chemical mixture that comes in for every component.  I had expected to see some kind of coordinated industry effort to say - Company X, you test chemical A because you make that, and Company Y, you test chemical B because you make that. We will all share results so we can all stay in business.

But I don't know what kind of international industrial association is capable of coordinating this base of previously tested materials.  I understand REACH has designated a European organization (in Finland?) to be the data keeper, but I don't know if this is to be available to companies or just to enforcement agencies.

How can we make sense of all this without going bankrupt?

Denny Fritz
MacDermid, Inc.