LEADFREE Archives

August 1999

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Paul Baber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:39:11 -0500
Fortunately, Abraham Lincoln did not have to deal with something called the
"world press".
In this so-called age of information, it can also be an age of
dis-information.
If it is a slow news day, the press is forced to find a story. Seldom based
upon in depth investigation, and rarely includes corroboration of facts by
multiple credible sources.
Every story has two sides, but the probability of hearing both sides during
60 seconds of airtime is minimal.
How many times should the "Refused to comment" tag line have really been,
"Not worthy of comment"? How many stories can be told in 60 seconds without
some extreme editing being performed? In today's press, the concern should
be about what is left out than what is aired. Perspective is definitely
skewed if context is not an integral part of any news reporting.
Unfortunately, perception is truth. If something is perceived as a problem,
then it becomes a problem.  Is it news just because it was reported?  Quite
often, we forget that some things are not by definition news worthy.
Have we created this monster ourselves, or is it something which was of
nature or rather human nature?  Probably, it was of human nature, but
through the feeding of this creature, we have allowed it to grow into a
monster. The investigative reporters are the goldfish of the human race.
Kept in a small arena it would have remained small, but by allowing it to
roam unrestrained, it has grown.
The press has been released from their small, local bowl, and it is becoming
ugly.  Some see them as the shedders of light.  Exposing those hidden in
darkness.  A few, very few, are good reporters.  They report.  The vast
majorities are subject to their own egos and seek to break free of their
small bowls.  They are no longer subjective and a recorder of events.  They
take an event and seek to make it historical.  Shock and indignation are
their stock and trade.  Good news is perverted by their view.  Good news is
now murder and mayhem.  Death and destruction is the good story.
Our choices are to either change the perception of the issue, or allow
misconception to rule.  The sad truth is we have become a nation of
acceptance.  In a nation ruled by the people, for the people, only a small
portion of the people say or do anything to rule.  Through indifference, and
not rocking the boat, the people have begun to go with the flow.  Take the
path of least resistance.  Allow someone else to speak for them.  Passions
are lost.  The people allow someone else to decide what they think.  And, if
their thought process is flawed, well, they meant well.
But I digress...
All of this is to point out mood of the people is subjective, and too easily
influenced.
The fact we have as many PWB's in existence is due to "public demand".
If a market had not been present, there would not be the volume in existence
today. In regard to batteries and PWB's travelling hand in hand, again it is
the public demand for portability of the technology enjoyed at home and at
the office that has driven this gear.
If the thought process which has driven this push to control lead in the
electronic industry is "...it is such a small amount of lead, and it is such
a small portion of their end product; why, it should be easy to replace."
It is flawed.  If this is the case, then one should consider the expense to
replace the material.  Would it not make more sense to attempt to control
the larger consumers?  Let the heavier hitters create the replacement
materials, and leave the smaller problems to learn from the larger.
Or do we not really want to eliminate the problem?
Perhaps the hidden goal is to give the appearance of attempting to control
the problem.  You know...that perception thing again.
Am I cynical?  Yes.
Thank you world news, I am.  You have shown me that not only can I not trust
what I read, I can no longer trust what I see.
But, this is just my opinion.  Thankfully, I have one.

Paul B.