LEADFREE Archives

June 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:58:57 +0200
Dear LF forum,

Cd was (is) widely used in thickfilm pastes for resistors; its important
for long term stability and electrical performance. That's the reason why
Cadmium in thickfilm pastes is exempted from the substance bans in the End
of Life Vehicles Directive until July 2006, but not from the RoHS.
Manufacturers of resistor pastes are working hard to develop Cd free
systems, which show the same performance as the Cd-containing ones.

regards
Walter

to Paul Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Leadfree <[log in to unmask]>
30.06.2004 10:32
Please respond to
"(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)" <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond

cc

Subject
[LF] RoHS Directive - cadmium in cermet potentiometers

Hi all

I thought I'd start a new string off for this even though its similar to
the cadmium in contacts one

I received a newsletter from Murata the other day, and was quickly
thumbing
through (yes i do read them!!) when i came across an interesting article
titled 'cadmium free trimmer potentiometers' I had no idea that cadmium
had
been used in cermet devices and began to wonder what other components may
crawl out of the RoHS woodwork!!.  I've requested some data on the new
devices, as I'm interested in the quality and performance etc (the cadmium
must have been added for a reason) so I'll forward any interesting facts.
I'm wondering if anyone else in the group has come across this component
or
is aware of any other cermet based products that may be affected.   I'm
also wondering whether some of the smaller manufacturers are aware of
these
potential pitfalls, we've sent questionnaires to our suppliers but none
came back and said 'hey check your cermet devices out' !!

It looks like everyone is waiting for someone else to take the lead!!

regards

Paul

Paul R Taylor
Senior Engineer, Product Supply Group
Pitney Bowes
email: [log in to unmask]
website: www.pb.com
To temporarily stop delivery of Leadree for vacation breaks send: SET
Leadfree NOMAIL