LEADFREE Archives

January 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:54:38 EST
Hello Blair,

A legitimate question. The report says crystal is safe if used sparingly (I
assume that means special occasions)

Lead cannot be metabolized by the body thus it comes and goes (lead levels in
humans in the US has gone down significantly since the banning of lead in
gasoline). Still, if accumulated in excess by repeated ingestion, it can cause
toxic effects by interfering with various physiological functions. It is
something that one must not take lightly and should know the risks even if they are
very, very small.

That aside, aside and digging a bit deeper, one finds that of the treatments
for lead poisoning is EDTA therapy. EDTA chelates lead and other heavy metals
until it can be passed from the body. If you read food labels you'll find that
sodium or calcium EDTA is a common additive/preservative in foods. Depending
on your diet, I rather suspect (but cannot assert) that EDTA would serve to
complex and sequester up any minuscule amount that might leach in drinking water
or a libation over a meal (other than vinegar that is ;-)

I would not worry for myself, Brian, whose opinions I respect, has a
different opinion but you need to find your own comfort level by doing your own
research.

Best regards,
Joe

Below is on websites list of potential lead sources for ingestion  (I will
tell you in advance that electronics are not on the list)
Sources of lead ingestion: Bone meal, ceramic glazes, cigarette ash, eating
utensils, auto exhaust, lead gasoline, hair dyes, insecticides, lead crystal
dishes and glassware, lead refineries, lead smelters, lead water pipes, liver,
mascara, milk, evaporated milk, organ meats, lead based paint, pesticides,
porcelain glazed sinks and bathtubs, produce (near roads), putty, PVC containers,
rainwater, snow, tobacco, toothpaste, toys, vinyl mini-blinds, city water,
well water, wine, car batteries, canned fruit juice.