LEADFREE Archives

August 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Kallin, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:11:45 -0400
I received this on another group discussing End of life for those interested
in the recent thread on CRTs.
Dan Kallin                        Environmental Engineer
   Bose Corporation       Framingham, MA 01701
                 508-766-7136  (phone)
                 508-766-7086   (fax)
Dear Colleagues:

Resources for the Future has recently put out a report entitled "Modeling
the Costs and Environmental Benefits of Disposal Options for End-of-Life
Electronic Equipment: The Case of Used Computer Monitors."  The following is
a link to the report:
http://www.rff.org/disc_papers/PDF_files/0127.pdf

The following is RFF's abstract of the paper:

Abstract Managing the growing quantity of used electronic equipment poses
challenges for waste management officials. In this paper, we focus on a
large component of the electronic waste stream? computer monitors?and the
disposal concerns associated with the lead embodied in cathode ray tubes
(CRTs) used in most monitors. We develop a policy simulation model of
consumers' disposal options based on the costs of these options and their
associated environmental impacts. For the stock of monitors disposed of in
the United States in 1998, our preliminary findings
suggest that bans on some disposal options would increase disposal costs
from about $1 per monitor to between $3 and $20 per monitor. Policies to
promote a modest amount of recycling of monitor parts, including lead, can
be less expensive. In both cases, the costs of the policies exceed the value
of the avoided health effects of CRT disposal.