LEADFREE Archives

February 2009

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Michael Kirschner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:11:17 -0600
Hi Werner,

Yes - there are plenty of examples, unfortunately. We need to be more
diligent and involved and make sure science and data are taken for what
they're worth. Sometimes, though, "science" can be fudged and we see lots of
that in the battles between the chemical industry, researchers, and regulators.

By the way, speaking of the RoHS Pb-ban, there was a very interesting
presentation on life cycle analysis yesterday at the California DTSC RoHS
conference by a researcher from UC Davis. She shows, through an analysis of
the EPA's solder LCA, that regardless of how you weight the various
environmental impacts, SnPb is effectively comparable in environmental
performance to SAC alloy. Further, she shows that BiSnAg is significantly
better, environmentally, than the other three alloys studied.

See
http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/HazardousWaste/upload/Schoenung_LCA_green_electronics.pdf,
particularly slide 31 showing 28 different weightings randomly assigned
using the monte carlo method.

So going to SAC alloy was extremely expensive for the industry, and
ultimately doesn't really do anything positive for the environment. There
are problems with introducing Bi into the joint, of course, so though BiSnAg
might be environmentally preferable, her analysis does nothing to address
technical and business issues.

Mike

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 21:21:45 -0500, Werner engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>My comment was not meant to be that narrow--there is a long list of laws
passed with perhaps good intentions but very bad consequences. I certainly
meant to include the RoHS Pb-ban, NJ sand blasting Pb-containing paint off
of highway bridges, evacuating 4 city blocks in NYC when a water main breaks
because of the asbestos insulation, etc., etc.