LEADFREE Archives

March 2010

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Patten, Chuck" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2010 12:50:22 -0500
Witchcraft, superstitions are made of this...

That said, the boards are likely to fail again before too long.  Maybe they have a bad/dry solder joint that now makes better contact because the board flexed sufficiently to allow the contact to wipe a new path on the pad through the residual flux or a capacitor with a bad internal connection was renewed in the same way...  I have personally experienced a PC that worked intermittently, going off into la-la land after 30 min to 2 hrs or longer due to a ram chip lead contact that was sitting on top of a dry joint.  When the system was powered down sufficiently long to cool off it renewed itself automatically.  Took me three weeks to find it and re-solder it.

Chuck Patten, PMP
Engineer Lead Project