LEADFREE Archives

December 2000

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:43:59 EST
Hi All,
I have been following this debate for some time. and I have learned a lot. I
have utmost respect for Brian, Günther, Eric and Gordon (and I do know them
personally), both professionally and as human beings--and thus I am not very
happy with the tone some of the exchanges have taken.
First, I am certain all will agree, that this is a VERY complex subject
matter, that even the lengthier epistles that have appeared here cannot do
justice (but please keep them coming, they are very informative).
Second, I also am quite sure, all of you (as am I), are rather frustrated
that politicians (in the worst meaning of the word) have made this issue a
near fait accompli, by innuendo, half-truths, and scaremongering to the
general population, and that parts of the industry have jumped on the
bandwagon to gain a temporary competitive advantage.
Third, all human activities have both positive and negative consequences,
some intended and others unintended.
Fourth, these human activities should be performed to minimize the negative
consequences. This may include a total ban, or a partial ban for certain
uses, or other restrictions.
Fifth, one of the strongest human motivations for or against doing something
is economic (sure, some of us are altruistic, but most are not). The biggest
problem we have is that the goods and services we buy do not include all the
costs associated with them--only the costs to the point we buy them (and in
many cases not even those considering cleanup and restoration of production
sites, pollution damage, etc.). Thus, if the real complete costs of goods and
services--including disposal, recycling, reclamation--were reflected in the
purchase price, the consumer could and would make more appropriate choices.
But, for this do happen requires worldwide agreement, cooperation, planing,
and execution. This is UTOPIA--we all know it--we know it is so much easier
to stir up conflicts, to pit one group against another, to gore somebody
else's ox, than to agree on something. Thus, we are frustrated.
All we can do is let our voices be heard, exchange honest opinions, and do so
without personal acrimony. Our disdain should be directed at those who try to
make public policy for self-serving reasons.
Werner Engelmaier