LEADFREE Archives

December 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Chuck Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 16:39:24 -0800
Here is some data that the EIA gathered on lead in monitors.

3% of US lead consumption is oxides in glass and ceramics (includes CRTs
and other uses)
Reduced to minimum amount for effective x-ray shielding; encased in
glass matrix
Found in 4 major areas of CRT (range 8” - 35” and above)
        Funnel Glass 1 - 9 lbs
        Frit (Solder Glass)- 0.057 - 0.215 lbs
        Panel Glass - used by 25% of industry 0.2 - 2.0 lbs
        Neck Glass 0.027 - 0.054 lbs

Range of total lead in CRTs: 1.08 -9.27 lbs
Average CRT: 18”, 2.16 - 2.59 lbs lead

I assume TVs have slightly more than monitors because they have tuning
and audio circuitry that monitors don't.

According to "Alternative Technologies for Surface Finishing
(EPA/744-R-01-001) June 2001," available at  www.epa.gov/dfe
lead comprises 0.7% total weight of a typical printed circuit board

Chuck Dolci