LEADFREE Archives

April 2008

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"John R. Sieber" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:42:36 -0400
To directly answer Scott Xe, IEC 62321 will not be available for sale
until the entire IEC process is finished.  Any copies out there now
are not official.  Some members of the national committees have them
because we helped develop it.  Check the ISO/IEC website for news,
but don't expect the final, official version until late this year.

Due to Scott's message, I learned that I did not correctly send the
following message last week when Mr. Wellman asked about the Chinese
version.  For those interested in IEC FDIS 62321, here is the current story.

TC111 revised the version of CDV 62321 that failed to pass in late
2006.  We balloted CDV 62321 again last autumn and it passed
unanimously.  However, there were upwards of 500 comments both
technical and editorial.  What I didn't know at the time was that a
unanimous vote allows the direct publication of the standard without
creating a FDIS (Final Draft International Standard) for one last
Yes/No vote.  Fortunately, the leadership of TC111 recognized that
500 comments had to be addressed and an FDIS vote was needed.  This
week, the FDIS was released to WG3 members in English and the French
translation will be started very soon.  Our plan is to begin the FDIS
ballot in June or July.  With a two-month ballot period, the final
result should be known in September.  I'd say everyone expects the
FDIS ballot to be passed, followed by publication before the end of 2008.

FDIS 62321 is likely very different from the version that China was
considering adopting.  FDIS 62321 contains normative methods for XRF
screening and atomic spectroscopy methods for Cd, Hg, and Pb in
various materials.  The scope of each method is somewhat limited
because we had a limited range of reference materials for method
validation.  The flame retardants GC/MS method, the diphenylcarbazide
method for CrVI in coatings, and the alkaline digestion method for
CrVI in polymers are included as informative annexes.  That means
they are not binding.  There were too many problems with these
methods and WG3 decided it would likely result in a negative ballot
result if they were normative.

Again, I really don't know how the current 62321 compares to whatever
decision was taken by China.  Their members of TC111 have been
actively involved in our various projects.  Therefore, I'm certain
China is aware of the latest developments.  Some time ago, I saw a
document from China that incorporated test methods similar to 62321
and procedures for sampling, which 62321 does not cover.  China and
France were leading a task in TC111 to create a Publicly Available
Specification (sort of a temporary guide that might become a standard
in the future) to sampling of electronics and electrical
equipment.  As far as I know, it is progressing steadily.

I hope this is useful info.

John Sieber