LEADFREE Archives

November 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"James, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 14:08:22 -0000
Yes yellow affords better protection to corrosion but is actually a
worse performer for EMC because it forms an insulative layer, whereby
mechanically mating faces cannot be guaranteed to have galvanic
continuity.

Many people using yellow when EMC came about went over to the silver
version if corrosion prevention was not really an issue. The silver
conversion is thinner and can almost be guaranteed to break down
allowing the formation of a galvanic connection between simply mated
parts.

However it is still possible to achieve EMC compliance with the yellow
conversion. So the exemption wording of "corrosion protection AND EMC"
is IMO misleading: they need the good corrosion protection to prevent
corrosion which would otherwise degrade EMC performance i.e. the yellow
conversion is not there to enhance EMC performance merely to preserve
EMC performance in the face of an adverse environment.

Regards,
Chris