LEADFREE Archives

August 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 15:14:42 -0500
Hi Again Indium-Mike, Colin, John and IPC LF Listservers,

>Sorry to disillusion you Dave but anything more than simple 2 layer flex
>circuits are STUCK together with adhesive designs and many of the current
>products simply will not "take the heat" - which is why people are pushing
>for an exemption on flip chip technology to be added to annex 1 of RoHS and
>this request is currently being considered.

NAH John, you didn't surprise me and thanks for adding. Flex as a
technology term can cover such a wide breath that it is amazing. Some
engineers and procurers even call ribbon cable flexible circuits. Mike
noted PEN and PET yet there are even more materials in the flex technology
arena.

Rigid Flex designs, which seems to apply to your note and concern are
certainly another category I didn't think was applicable to the original
poster's question. When I replied I was only thinking of the run of the
mill 1 or 2 layer circuitized flex.

SO, since hopefully we have answered Colin's question in a number of
different ways tell me and us where to find this exemption you speak about
for Rigid Flex or maybe the uBGA flex.

Yours in Engineering, Dave
Y i Engr, MA/NY DDave