LEADFREE Archives

April 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 19:07:22 +0300
Ron

No, that is not what I said. But all metal getting is harmful to a
greater or lesser extent. If it were deep mining, as it used to be in
Cornwall, the problems would be far smaller, but it is simply not
competitive with alluvial mining which does devastate wide tracts of
land. The problem here is that much of the alluvial mining of tin
happens in tropical rain forests, in SE Asia and in S. America, which
cannot be salvaged: the biotopes took millions of years to develop.
Sustainable development requires that we minimise such irreplaceable
destruction and
this can be helped by not eliminating lead from solder. A 50% increase
of tin in virgin grade solder will cost somewhere around a 10% increase
in the overall requirements of tin and therefore a 10% increase in
biotope destruction. If it were replaced by lead, the difference would
be negligible as the lead producers don't even consider solder as a
major market, there is so much used for other jobs (roughly 99.5%).

Anyone who has visited Malaysia will have seen what I am talking about.
Almost the whole of KL and Ipoh is built on desertified tin workings. At
the best, after many decades, a secondary jungle of scrubby bushes and
small, spindly trees will appear, but this is nothing compared with the
majestic hardwood monarchs with buttressed trunks, reaching 30 or 40 m
up from ground that is almost clear of all vegetation. With the help of
man, the infertile remains of such clearing can be remediated to the
extent of some short-term crop growing, after about 10 years, but even
this has to abandoned after a few years. This is akin to the slash and
burn agriculture in Brazil and Indonesia, where the primary forest is
destroyed to obtain 2 or 3 years of crops before it is left to nature
which can no longer cope with such rape of the soil. How many countless
species have been lost with this, including such endangered mammals as
the Sumatran tiger, the Sumatran rhino, the orangutan and hundreds of
others with, perhaps a lower profile?

Let's bring a little sanity back into the equation.

Brian