LEADFREE Archives

May 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Karl Heinz Zuber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 10:37:03 +0200
Dear Chuck,
1. the old "dosis venenum facit" (The dose makes the poison) is not
ALLWAYS true. There is, as far as i remember, one mechanism where there
are no safe limits: If genes are affected, the repair mechanisms as well
as the damaging mechanisms are stochastic. That means that even one
molecule of the substance can cause damage, and the safe level is 0.
Probability of effect is of course lower with lower doses.
MERIAN ("Metals and their compounds in the environment", VCH, 1991)
(this one is in english ;-) mentions some evidence for genotoxic effects
of lead and several compounds.

2. Just to mention it: Lead is not essential (see MERIAN). At least not
for biology...

It is an interesting thing that copper, which is also quite toxic to
many organisms including humans, is essential. There are some
cu-detoxification mechanisms in cells that anyway allow copper uptake
without harm. For lead, this specialized mechanisms do not exist,
because it is not essential to take up lead. I think i read that
somewhere in MERIAN, too.

3. One more from MERIAN: The increase of lead in sediments during the
last 150 yrs was up to 20-fold, 4-fold in south pole snow. Of course
that is due to atmospheric pollution, gasoline etc. and not to
electronics, but it means that anthropogenic lead is not in principle
negligible, as you implied.

4. It is a good idea to include "other living creatures" as well in the
considerations. If you do that, you could end up with extremely low
acceptable doses for certain soil bacteria. (Dont laugh, they provide
our food)

That's why i dont think that Keith's post was so extremely meaningless
and untrue.

Best regards,
khz