LEADFREE Archives

December 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Munie, Gregory" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2006 11:27:27 -0600
Wow!

I come back to the office and I've got another Christmas present waiting: a red hot discussion of REACH on the LF forum!!!

Santa's been good to me this year!

;-)

I especially want to thank Mr. Dolci for dragging Bruce Ames's name into the discussion. Many years ago he presented at AT&T Bell Labs and said (paraphrase): Our tests for risks are tending to make us far more paranoid than can be supported by the real numbers we collect. (BTW: although I don't have the references he has some very good descriptions of this published in Science.)

For those of you who love statistics and are in need of a document to combat insomnia I suggest the 50 year long government study of cancer in the US.

http://www.seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2000/results_merged/sect_01_overview.pdf

I find Table I-2 especially interesting. As I interpret it, and as has been pointed out, much of the cancer "epidemic" is associated with more people with extended life spans. If many cancers can be assigned to mistakes made in the body's repair process over the years then if we live long enough we'll probably get some form of it.

For my part I expect my lifestyle choices and genetics will be the determining factor in my demise.

And so I tend not to worry too much about all the minor environmental pollutants that I hear so much about.