LEADFREE Archives

November 2008

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 13:41:32 +0000
Thank you Brian for you insight.
No elemental Chlorine—so when I read from the NEC Electronics website and the Recommended Soldering Conditions that “Maximum chlorine content of rosin flux (percentage mass) 0.2% or less” they are meaning a chlorine compound or a chloride.  Which makes some sense when I read from a Agilent Versatile Link fiber optic Tech Data sheet which recommends “nonhalogenated .. fluxes (0% chloride)”.
The reason for my initial question was component failures. The company I work for has experienced failures of an opto coupler. The opto coupler component manufacturer found in their analysis chlorine residue in the package . I questioned and suggested the source might be from the encapsulation process or other assembly process which they claimed was not possible because they realize the detrimental effects of chlorine to the wirebonds and leadframe.
The company who solders the printed circuit assemblies uses a flux that contains chlorine (1.5% by wt). Plastic encapsulated IC packages are not considered hermetic, hence the conclusion of chloride in the flux migrating into the IC was a possible cause of the component failures.
Other thoughts are appreciated.

Mike B
-------------- Original message from Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>: --------------