LEADFREE Archives

September 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:36:56 -0500
Hi Brian and IPC LF Listservers,

I am glad you find it hard to believe. If you have ever seen the photos of
Tin Whiskers or Silver Migration both are hard to believe.

Rather than doing my own search I am still hoping Doug from TI the friend
of Abbott from TI, or one of the others from all the company links that
Doug kindly gave us, will give us all a link on the web so we can both read
and learn.

I doubt that the Ag is in the Lead Frame, I would hope that most component
manufacturers do not use Silver unless done with lots of understanding or
in special situations. Let's take as a playing example Im-Ag as a PCB
surface finish and add to it a non wetting situation that doesn't bring in
the Ag into the joint. Some metals during the soldering process will
migrate to the outside and create a rich region is another option yet I
like surface contaminants. Add to this an activated flux that isn't cleaned
off the board as well as it should be, add to this a high humidity
application.

YiEngr, MA/NY DDave