LEADFREE Archives

February 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Scott Xe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 23:06:07 +0800
Mike,

Thanks for survey result that gives more detail about the source of survey and statement.  I am unsure of the result of other countries but very doubt in the result of Hong Kong and China parts in where I am working frequently.

In my last year's experience, less than 30% of our suppliers were really working on RoHS Compliance.  Their attitude is to wait and see.  Those 30% suppliers may tell you about 80 or 90 % of their products comply with RoHS.  The way of their interpretation was that they obtained the declaration of conformity and/or test report from their vendors.  Most of them were unable to verify and/or validate those reports due to lack of training/knowledge.  The reports from their vendors also contained lot of unsolved issues, i.e., not tested to 6 substances, not tested to homogeneous level, not traceable, incompleteness, etc.  In terms of RoHS management system, very few companies started to study.  Most of companies still wait and see.

Starting from 2006, many companies are waking up since they have got alert of order condition about RoHS compliant product.  However, it is too late!!  Although, the commencement date is 1 July.  The distribution and shipping take about two months.  Parts ordering takes one month to 45 days for RoHS compliant parts.  It is the time to start the production of RoHS compliant product.  They got no time to react on non-compliant parts, cross-contaminations and/or leadfree soldering.  Thru above scenario, how much truth of their statement on RoHS ready!!  Of course, it depends how you define the RoHS ready!!  What is the purpose to conduct the survey?  Give the incorrect impression to the buyers, who do not have capability to assess their suppliers, matching their expectation in heart?

More important that the buyers are not aware of that non-RoHS products cannot be put on market after 1 July.  How do they handle the stock imported in chain of their warehouse 1 or 2 months ago?  Sell those stocks at discount price or return to manufacturer?

Scott