LEADFREE Archives

July 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Jack Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2005 13:38:02 -0700
Forum-ites and Forum-mights,

I would like to see them too also with data like as in mag, optical angle, film or digital cam, if SEM, what accelerating voltage, what sample prep.  Too much to expect, but such faults are much more than my personal idle curiosity.
And if anybody is on this forum from CALCE - U. MD, they mightwant to compare the growth to a couple years ago article in the IEEE CPMT Transactions showing a copper filament that grew along a glass fibre in a pc board.

Hi Werner,
Thanks much for your exploratory.
 - - any ideas about what Faraday might have to say about what it would take to build such a whisker, what confidence intervals, what circuit power wasn't there to blow it away, what intrinsic sensitivity the control ckts should have,  to identify a false signal compared to a true pc interconnect.

I am wondering if the pc layout team should be looking at the availabilty of such sneak paths in their  daily routines. I know the teams I once worked with had no clue about what might fault, and that was not long ago and with lead as a perhaps inhibitor.

I can be contacted offline at [log in to unmask], but I think, in the light of yesterdays nightmare, we should continue this forum's initiative of guidelines for pc board layout and ckt designers as well as you all have done with chemistry and of course, politics. The eventual customer is us.

Cheers
Jack

Jack Sherman
yup, Motorola Materials, involuntary retiree.

Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi all,
Does anybody have access to these pictures?

Werner