LEADFREE Archives

September 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Arnold Offner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:27:20 -0400
Hello Everyone,

Aside from the MCV of Lead at 1000 ppm in the RoHS-Directive, there are
also other Directives / Guidelines that need to be considered.

California's Proposition 65  has an MCV of 15micrograms per day (taken
orally)

There are also a series of courts case pending in California regarding
Childrens' Lunch Boxes,
the minimum allowable lead content of 600 ppm in paint was exceeded over 90
fold.
http://cehca.org/lunchboxes.htm#release

Kindest regards,
Arnold Offner
Phoenix Contact Inc. - USA
Industry Associations & Committees
Program Lead - RoHS & WEEE Directive
Box 4100
Harrisburg, PA 17111-0100
United States of America
Telephone:    USA - 717 - 948 3469
Cellphone:    USA - 717 - 215 0155
Facsimile:     USA - 717 - 948 3468
E-Mail: <[log in to unmask]>

|         |           "Davy, Gordon"   |
|         |           COM>             |
|         |           Sent by: Leadfree|
|         |           >                |
|         |           09/30/2005 03:11 |
|         |           "(Leadfree       |
|         |           Electronics      |
|         |           Assembly Forum)";|
|         |           "Davy, Gordon"   |
  |       To:       [log in to unmask]                                                                                             |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: [LF] Lead: Intentionally added but below 1000 ppm?                                                       |

Can you imagine all of the companies that have been verifying that the
items they have been buying comply with the MCV's now having to go back
to all their suppliers to ask whether lead has been intentionally added?
I guess, based on Dan Kallin's comment that ELV has the "intentionally
added" phrase, that is what companies that have to comply with that
directive need to do. Maybe it wouldn't be too hard for a part
supplier's material declaration to state that not only does lead not
exceed 1000 ppm of any homogeneous material, but also no lead has been
intentionally added.

So far, my list of applications in which lead might be intentionally
added at a level below 1000 ppm has two entries: ENIG (thanks to Jerry
Wagner) and PVC (thanks to Dan Kallin). I don't expect to see the list
grow very much. I suspect that Ken Patel, who started this thread, is in
a time zone such that he hasn't seen the responses yet. I'm sure he will
let us know the application that prompted his inquiry.

Gordon Davy

Baltimore, MD

410-993-7399

To temporarily stop/(start) delivery of Leadree for vacation breaks send:
SET Leadfree NOMAIL/(MAIL)