LEADFREE Archives

April 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Seth Goodman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:10:01 -0500
On Friday, April 07, 2006 9:39 AM -0500, Nic Bowker wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Anyone got any thoughts on the following I read somewhere, I forget
> where. It's Friday after all!:

Yes, it's the only explanation I've ever heard for banning lead from
electronic solder that makes any sense whatsoever:  a trascription error
by someone who did not read the entire document!  As Joe F. has so often
said, with WEEE, there is no need for removing lead from electronic
solder as it is easily recovered.  Early tests simulating leaky
landfills with acidic leachate showed that the lead did not penetrate
far enough into the soil below to ever reach ground water.  But we knew
from the start that this had nothing to do with science or environmental
protection.

Now we hear that the world tin supply, which unlike lead, has the
electronics industry as a primary consumer, may not be sufficient for
future demands.  Of course, the very effective lobbying work by the tin
industry was a second reason for getting rid of lead in electronic
solder.  At least it has benefitted _some_ group.

--
Seth Goodman
Goodman Associates, LLC

tel +1 608.833.9933