LEADFREE Archives

June 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Pascal Oberndorff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:44:13 +0200
Dear John,

Could you be so friendly and name a couple of the references that show
whiskers growing out of solder joints especially after a 150 C bake?
I have to say that I don't know these papers (maybe after a simulated board
assembly, which means no solder applied and no board attachement, so also
no solder joint), so I would appreciate the references.
Just as piece of thought: even SnPb can result in whiskers (particular in
temperature cycling).
Your reference to the book in 1928 is very interesting, since most people I
know would consider the whisker story starting somewhere in the 1940's. And
here they even claim there has been a lot of research in 1928. Would be
nice to find those papers/reports.

With kind regards,

Pascal
Dr. ir. P. Oberndorff
Philips Applied Technologies, SAQp 233
Process Technology/ Electronic Packaging & Thin Film
P.O. Box 218
5600 MD Eindhoven
Tel: +31 (0)40 27 32223
Mobile: +31 (0)6 13202514