LEADFREE Archives

October 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Harvey Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 04:09:40 -0700
Tim

Complicity of large multi-nationals in the lead ban would have been
effected through their trade associations, AEA, etc.  Some evidence
supports your hypothesis.  In the early years, 1998 to 2002, AEA,
Orgalime,TUV, and others were actively lobbying against the lead ban.
Much of the activity was documented by James Hayward of AMD.  Then, around
2002, that activity ceased.  Most of what we heard was compliance.

I think there may have been many factors.  One was concern with WEEE.  Its
financial impact was deemed even worse than RoHS lead ban because of the
cost of take-back.  So that concern was always diversionary from lobbying
against RoHS.

Now we see that the RoHS exemption process itself is being aborted.
Blanket rejections have become the rule, impacting applications by Swatch
and Xilinx based on unreliability of the SAC alloys.

Stavros Dimas, Environmental Commissioner, has stated that the ultimate
judgment will be that of the European Court of Justice.  Liability issues,
generated by equipment failures of lead-free solder and its manufauring
process stresses, will force the entire isssue into the courts.  I do not
believe that there will be a viable defense for the lead ban in any court.

Harvey Miller
Fabfile Online