LEADFREE Archives

November 1999

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
David Gowlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 15:24:11 -0000
Dear Mr. Zhang,

Thank you for your reply to my e-mail, is till have a couple of points that
I would appreciate comment on.

1. Pure tin whiskers
There is still surely a risk that if tin deposited by your process is formed
after plating without any stress relief, then whiskers may form. I have
found on the Internet at
http://www.satellitetoday.com/viaonline/backissues/1998/1098dollars.htm that
the failure of four satellites has been attributed to tin whisker growth.
The potential for costly litigation makes pure tin a difficult route to
take. I believe whilst pure tin is often on cheaper components, the problems
associated with tin whiskers is reduced as the pure tin will alloy with lead
during the soldering process. There is also a lot of historical reluctance
to the use of pure tin. The requirement standard from Telcordia (formerly
Bellcore), document No. SR-3151, states that "no matter what process is
used, any electroplated tin finish may grow whiskers". The problem is not
helped by the lack of a definitive test for whisker growth, in my twenty
years of electroplating I have yet to see a whisker in real life.

2. Tin-silver
The issue with the cost is not to do with the amount of silver in the
electroplating solution. If we take a cost of the raw metals ($/t) as tin
5590 Lead 488 and silver 159,646, then reducing the lead content from 60/40
to 90/10 will increase raw material costs by 43%, however the eutectic
Sn3.5Ag increase cost by 309%.

3. Lead reduction
Because the European WEEE directive allows lead to be present in certain
metals, it is possible that they will accept the same for tin. Reducing the
amount of lead in solder is by far the cheapest solution to the problem as
no one can offer a simple drop in alternative.

I wish you all the best with the development work you are undertaking, I
intend to investigate further the tin-copper.

Best regards,
David Gowlett