LEADFREE Archives

November 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 13:21:53 -0800
Interesting viewpoint.

Have to say that I cannot completely agree with the last sentence "I think
there will be few changes required, other than surface finish and
de-composition temp"

In a lot of cases the unit will have to go through a complete proto build
with verification od design intent, it may be a small change but sure can be
a lot of work!!

Most modern high speed designs are working with controlled impedance traces.

Changing the material, means you have to change the stackup, change the
stackup you have to run prototypes to verify signal integrity and original
design intent. If you have one or two boards this may not be an issue.

If you have several hundred designs it will be very draining on the design
and signal integrity group.

Me.......... I believe the theory that Werner Engelmaier proposed that lead
free is al al-Queida plot to destroy Western
civilization by sapping our resources.