LEADFREE Archives

November 2000

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Jim Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 14:54:53 -0500
Ron:

Let's separate the issues here.

Issue 1 -- Can an electronics product be manufactured without lead in
the solder? Absolutely.
Issue 2 -- Can all products be produced with lead-free solder? No.
Issue 3 -- What is the long-term reliability of assemblies subjected to
the high heat of the usual no-lead candidates? We don't know because
there's not enough data. Odds are the failure rates will rise, though.
Issue 4 -- Does replacing the lead do good things for the environment
(the reason we're supposed to be doing this in the first place)?
Apparently not.

I've heard the litany of Japan has (or is about to) eliminate lead. The
number of products produced with the new solders is small and the
primary objective was to gain backing from an uninformed public.

Am I the only one reading the postings here about the problems yet to be
overcome before lead-free is practical?

Jim Smith
Managing Director
Cambridge Management Sciences, Inc.