LEADFREE Archives

September 2007

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Timothy McGrady <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2007 11:04:08 -0400
Scott:

If the tests of the packaging were done to the RoHS Directive limits but the
results fell under the Packaging Directive limits -AND- the testing done was
analytically validated, the results would hold for the Packaging Directive
just as well.  However, I need to qualify that statement with a big caveat -
to this day, there are no standard methods other than BS EN 1122:2001 for
cadmium in plastic, which allowed the Dutch to nail Sony for the now
infamous violation of Netherlands law.  Some testing for lead, cadmium,
mercury and elemental chromium may produce reasonably accurate results, but
the tests need to be validated using reference materials, and the
uncertainties of the tests need to be calculated from measurements of known
reference materials and known measurement uncertainties of the equipment
used during the tests.  Unfortunately, most testing to date has not taken
into account the difference between mg/l and mg/kg units, which may be
significant in any measurements using digestion techniques and dilution
factors.  One very troubling void is the availability of tests for
hexavalent chromium within packaging or RoHS materials - typically added as
pigments.  Total chromium tests may allow determination of compliance below
the legislated limits, but the lack of any valid means of determining
hexavalent chromium in, for example, plastic does not allow conformity
assessment when test results for elemental chromium are above the legislated
limits.  This situation is comp-licated by the fact that many hexavalent
chromium pigments are not water soluble and thus cannot be extracted with
water as is common practice.  When the pigmented substrate is also not
permeable to or soluble in water, even water soluble hexavalent chromium may
not be extractable using water.  Thus there is a very big problem with the
measurement of hexavalent chromium versus other forms (trivalent or
elemental) of chromium.

That being said - the EU enforcement authorities don't know how to measure
accurately, so you're probably safe with whatever results you have.  I have
heard that the EU officials have about 250 cases of RoHS infractions they
would like to bring against companies, but they cannot do so because they do
not have standard test methods.  Any other tests they may have at their
disposal will not at this time produce results that will hold up in court.

This is all due to the people writing and lobbying the legislation not
knowing what they are talking about, but thinking they do.  It is a strong
argument for getting real scientific organizations such as NIST and IUPAC
involved in the debate before the legislation goes into effect.  Otherwise,
this sad situation will be repeated over and over (California, anyone?).
The very same lobbyists involved in the EU legislation are also involved in
every other major RoHS-like proposal, and people tend to listen to those
lobbyists because they come from big multi-nationals and talk very
authoritatively.  I know for a fact that those very same lobbyists don't
understand the technical issues, though they will never tell you that
themselves.  Yet they are the ones creating all this mess, sometimes to the
chagrin of the USTR.  And they do this in the name of others, while mostly
acting on their own whims.

Tim  McGrady
Chairman, ASTM International Committee F40
Environmental Manager, LG Electronics