LEADFREE Archives

March 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 18:15:24 -0800
Oddly enough I just saw an article about the European fertility rate .
According to the writer and her source, Francesco Billari (I don't know
his credentials):
"It takes 2.1 children per woman to replace the population. In 2000,
only six major western European nations had total fertility rates as
high as 1.7 (France, Ireland, Norway, Denmark, Finland, the
Netherlands); four nations had on average at least 1.5 but less than 1.7
children per woman (Belgium, United Kingdom, Portugal, Sweden); four
more have slipped into the crisis level demographers define as "very low
fertility" of less than 1.5 -- Austria (1.3), the former West Germany
(1.4), Italy (1.2) and Spain (1.2).
As Billari explains, a total fertility rate of 1.5 (slightly more than
the European average) cuts the population in half every 65 years. At 1.3
children per woman, the population gets cut in half every 32 years."

Billari is a contributor to a book recently published by UNECE. You can
find it online at: http://www.unece.org/ead/pau/epf/ndr.htm

I am sure someone on this site can do the math and verify or challenge
the numbers.  So it may take a little longer than ten years for Europe
to becomes just a fond memory. And then we can all go back to using lead
in our solder.

Chuck Dolci