LEADFREE Archives

April 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 17:30:44 +0100
A few years back a Professor at a well known UK university and expert in
this area questioned recycling news print, suggested possibly it was not a
good idea, postulating instead that re-using  might be better.

He said his preliminary sums suggested that the net energy gain of burning
the paper as fuel outweighed the actual cost of recycling and the CO2
emissions were less overall also.
He arrived at this rather seemingly counter-intuitive conclusion by taking a
rather more holistic approach than the normal simplistic "Greenpeace" one.
Starting in the managed forests, through to the  waste skip at the local
Supermarket etc and on. Added in the normally uncounted costs of individual
voluntary trips  to collection points and so on. Also the fact that in a
managed forest felled trees are replaced whereas nothing replaces the fossil
fuel which would other wise be used and so on.
His hypothesis was effectively: burning specially planted forest trees and
replacing them might reduce CO2 emissions and energy consumption overall
compared to burning fossil fuel to recycle paper.
Likely we'll never know as no actual discussion ensued. He was shouted down
like some old time heretic. How could burning paper be better than
re-cycling, that is wrong, even if he is right people must learn to recycle
so he is wrong was the flavour.
All that happened in other word was to prove that belief is stronger than
reason.

HAGWE

Mike